Today’s recipe is really more just a food assembly suggestion than a recipe. I picked up my Boschenbox from Boschendal farm last week, and in it was the most delicious burger patties. These Angus beef patties are perfectly marbled and utterly delicious! We had burgers on Friday night already, so when Saturday rolled by and I had to start thinking about dinner, I had an idea: why not combine the crusty ciabatta with the patties? One thing led to another and before I knew it, we were having a late afternoon picnic, eating Avo Ciabatta Burgers with Mustard Butter in the perfect autumn air.
AVO CIABATTA BURGERS WITH MUSTARD BUTTER
Ingredients (makes 4):
- 4 x Angus Beef patties
- 1x Ciabatta loaf, thickly sliced
- 2x Ripe Avos
- 4 tbs Salted butter
- 4 tbs Whole-grain mustard
- Olive oil
- Chopped chives to garnish
- Grill the patties on the fire. You can make it in the pan as well, but they really are so much better with a bit of smokiness in them! If you want to be really clever, you can reshape your patties to fit the slices of ciabatta before you cook them.
- Use a fork to mash the avo, and then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mix the mustard and butter, and spread liberally over the slices of ciabatta.
- Cut the patties into strips (unless you reshaped them first!) and place on the buttered ciabatta slices.
- Cover with avo, and garnish with chopped chives and olive oil.
I served it with a very basic pickled beetroot and mixed leaf salad, sprinkled with goat’s milk feta. Basic but a firm favourite!
This dish pairs beautifully with Raka Anchorage – another favourite!