Another 1K Creative Challenge – a bunch of small face-lifts that make a HUGE impact for under R1000 (USD100).
The fire-place in this room is a major focal, but it wasn’t what you might expect from an old farm house’s hearth: it was just a solid block of clay with a hole in it. And while it works like a dream after we made some structural adjustments to it last winter, there really was nothing else to it.
- Annie Sloan Chalk Paint R 110
- Black Foam Frame R 150
- Fabric (curtain & ottoman) R 180
- Mouldings R 222
- Blind R 180
- Haberdashery R 23
- Stencil R 94
- Yellow Paint * R 32
Total: R 991
I gave in to my recent obsession with black and painted the lower half with Annie Sloan’s Chalk Paint in Graphite. It is very inexpensive and I got great coverage. I did have to chip some flaking paint off first – and then decided to leave it like that! I really wanted to have some yellow geometric wallpaper above the fireplace, but the small area didn’t justify the cost of a roll. So I bought an inexpensive trellis stencil and did it myself! The background is a single coat of Annie Sloan chalk paint which ended up having a lovely uneven, mottled effect. The stencil took some patience and a spirit level to apply – I did one horizontal row at a time which then had to dry before I could do the next row – but I am really pleased with the result.I found the oval frame at a thrift store and immediately knew it will look stunning against the stenciled wall. I painted it with some more chalk paint to get that lovely matte black effect.
After looking at some images of fireplaces, I realized that this one seriously needed some depth. I painted the simple timber moldings in white and stuck them on with my hot glue gun. It really was super easy and the impact is amazing. I took my time to measure and cut the moldings to make sure that they fit properly – you don’t get do-overs with wood! I finished it off with Painter’s Mate (white acrylic) which is an amazing product that covers all manner of imperfections!
After I finished the fireplace, the wall next to it looked very pale so I ended up painting that as well, using a few more coats to get a much deeper colour. The curtain is a simple length of fabric that I hemmed and used with an old Ikea curtain pole. The window is west-facing so having a blind here is essential – this bamboo one was on special at Mr Price Home.
The last thing to fix up was the ottoman. I bought the fabric with the curtain fabric a few years ago on sale, not knowing what I was going to do with it! I loved the shape of my ottoman but the leather was worn and pealing so I decided to make a loose cover for it. I am so happy with the result – I think it really pulls the room together!Aside from the 2 gold tin buckets that I bought at Pep Home, I had everything else around the house and it’s amazing how you can create a whole new look by just moving some of your accessories around.Hope you like it as much as I and that you’re inspired to take on a 1k project of your own and share it here on Playing House!
* I had some yellow paint left over from another project, so I didn’t allocate its full value to this project.